Putting people first was heralded a ‘landmark protocol’, which aimed to ensure independent living for all adults through a joined-up and collaborative partnership between local and central government, the voluntary sector, providers and the social care regulator.
The agreement included the following commitments:
- encouraging stronger local leadership alongside genuine partnership working to create a high quality and responsive care system
- agreeing and sharing outcomes on issues such as independent living, personal choice and control and active participation in community life
- encouraging the use of joint strategic needs assessments to drive change
- offering personal budgets to those who were eligible
- promoting person-centred planning with a greater emphasis on self-assessment and management
- offering direct payments to enable users to plan and purchase their own care
- involving relatives and carers in care planning
- encouraging every locality to seek to have a single community-based support system focused on the health and wellbeing of the local population.